Sophie Cooper is an Associate at Wilkinson Walsh. Before joining the firm, Sophie served as a law clerk to the Honorable John A. Houston of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California and the Honorable Susan Illston of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Sophie graduated from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, where she served as a director of the Berkeley Law Appellate Advocacy team and as an Articles Editor for the Berkeley Journal of African-American Law and Policy.
During law school, Sophie worked as a law clerk in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Francisco and served as a Civil Procedure teaching assistant. Before law school, Sophie worked on Capitol Hill as an aide to Congresswoman Terri Sewell.
- Undergraduate: Yale College, B.A., distinction in the major (2009)
- Graduate: Columbia University, Master of Oral History (2012)
- Law: University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D. (2016)
- Director, Appellate Advocacy; Articles Editor, Berkeley Journal of African-American Law and Policy
- Judge John A. Houston, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California (2016–17)
- Judge Susan Illston, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (2018–19)
- Drafted amicus briefs before the U.S. Supreme Court in Syed v. Maryland, representing a group of thirty-nine exonerees, and before the Ninth Circuit in Innovation Law Lab v. McAleenan, a case involving protections for asylum-seekers.