Alexandra Walsh is a founding member of Wilkinson Walsh. She is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer who has successfully led the representation of a range of clients in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Building on her extensive trial experience, in the last 6 months, Alexandra has led two trial teams to victory in critical litigations for the firm's longstanding client, Bayer Corporation. The first case challenged the warnings that accompany Bayer Corporation’s market-leading blood thinner medication, Xarelto. The second, a multi-state class action, alleged that Bayer Corporation used deceptive claims to market its multivitamin One A Day. In both cases, the jury returned complete defense verdicts after less than two hours of deliberation. Alexandra has been tapped to try the first case in a national litigation challenging Essure, a permanent birth control method previously marketed by Bayer Corporation. That trial is scheduled to commence in November of this year.
Before founding Wilkinson Walsh, Alexandra was a partner at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison in Washington, D.C. She attended Bowdoin College and Stanford Law School. Prior to beginning her legal practice, Alexandra clerked for Chief Judge Merrick Garland of the D.C. Circuit and Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer.
- Undergraduate: Bowdoin College, B.A., Summa Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Law: Stanford University, J.D., With Distinction; Order of the Coif; Managing Board, Law Review
- The Honorable Merrick B. Garland, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2001-02)
- The Honorable Stephen G. Breyer, United States Supreme Court (October Term, 2003)
Representative matters include:
- Serving as lead trial lawyer in the Judicial Council Coordinated Proceeding that convened in California state court to address thousands of suits filed by users of the birth control method, Essure. The first trial is currently scheduled for November 2019.
- Served as lead trial lawyer in a multi-state class action, tried in February 2019, that accused Bayer Corporation of using misleading claims to market One A Day multivitamins. Based on the strength of our cross-examinations of Plaintiffs’ witnesses, we rested without calling a single witness in the defense case. The jury returned a complete defense verdict in less than two hours.
- Served as lead trial lawyer in a bellwether case, tried in August 2018, before the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in the national products liability litigation challenging the warnings that accompany Bayer Corporation’s market-leading blood thinner, Xarelto. The jury returned a complete defense verdict in less than two hours of deliberation.
- Won complete defense verdicts in the first two cases tried in the national litigation alleging that Pfizer failed to warn that its anti-depressant medicine Zoloft causes cardiac birth defects if taken while pregnant.
- Won a billion-dollar verdict on behalf of client Liberty Media in securities fraud and breach of contract action brought against French media conglomerate Vivendi SA.
- Won a complete defense verdict in action by the founders of online flash sale site, Rue La La, alleging that Kynetic and its CEO conspired with eBay to deprive them of the value of their company.
- Won full dismissal of civil RICO action litigated by plaintiffs’ counsel Larry Klayman against former Food & Drug Administrator.
- Won full reversal of district court order granting public access to reports of independent consultant prepared as part of consent agreement with the SEC.
- Won full dismissal of insider trading action in a case raising first-impression issues concerning the proper interpretation of Section 16(b).
Clients & Industries
Alexandra represents corporate clients involved in a range of industries, from pharma to financial services, and manufacturing to sports entertainment. Her clients have included Bayer Corporation, Pfizer, Rue La La, Citigroup, ADT Securities, Georgia Pacific, Liberty Media, and Major League Baseball. Additionally, she has defended individuals against high-profile federal criminal prosecutions and investigations, including Scooter Libby, former Chief of Staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, and Michael Singer, best-selling author and former CEO of WebMD’s Medical Manager Corporation.
Recognition & Activities
Alexandra has been recognized by Chambers and Partners for her Commercial Litigation Practice and as a rising star in the white-collar criminal practice. She was named Litigator of the Week by Litigation Daily for her victory in the Xarelto litigation and was featured in Litigation Daily for her cross examination of the lead plaintiff in the One A Day litigation. Alexandra was also selected as a Top 40 Lawyers under 40 by Washingtonian Magazine and she was honored by the National Law Journal as an Elite Boutique Trailblazer. She is active in the legal community, having served on the Advisory Committee on Procedures for D.C. Circuit, as a board member for the D.C. Circuit Historical Society, and as a member of the Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court. She currently serves on the board for the Washington-based Legal Aid Society.